Latest message you have seen: RE: IR controlled power strip/plug?

RE: Networking problems.

  • Subject: RE: Networking problems.
  • From: "Rob Mouser" <groups@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 11:15:16 +0100

>>- fractured cables
>>How hard is this to do?

Its pretty difficult to do. I've seen some CAT5 installs done in new homes
by house bashing (Apparently qualified ;-)) electricians and many on this
list would be horrified by the results and they have still worked.

>>- damp?
>>when sparkies were wiring in, house was not 100% watertight, and
building
was >>damp inside. Is this a factor?

CAT5 cable is not impermeable and it's known to cause problems from what my
cable install friend tells me. BUT, it really would have had to be pretty
darn damp over a reasonable period. Unless the cable ends were exposed
before terminating and not cut back?

A fluke tester would tell you loss results etc on each length. Most of the
modern ones can be calibrated to give you a pass or fail result as well.
Most also have a serial link to download and print your data from a PC.

Having said all of this its almost always the simplest of things but when
faced with a big problem you get blinded by it.

Rob

Hub.....

> > Must ensure that whatever your using for testing is working OK..
first
> > !!!....
> > Frank
> >

> >At the end of the day, it's only wire and sockets - it's no more
> >complicated than wiring phone extensions. FWIW I'd put my money on
> >the cables either not being punched down correctly, or being mis-
> >labelled (which sounds like a complete nightmare with so many
> >points). (One final outside possibility is that the cables have
been
> >fractured through rough handling, but it's pretty hard to do.)
> >
> >Patrick
>
> Hi Frank & Patrick
>
> I have eliminated the "simples" I think
>
> - bad patch cable?
> I have a single port where I can get a ping rate of 36ms to bbc.co.uk.
then
> take the same setup (PC & patch cable) to the other ports -
different
room, 5
> metres away and cannot get through to even browse the router.
>
> - mislabelled
> I have used a basic nework tester which lights up at both ends and
cycles
> through pins 1 to 8 - therefore I know that there is a signal going
down
pin1,
> which is received at pin1 in the cabinet end.
>
> - bad punchdown
> I need to check this again - sparky did use a krone tool, but need to
double check

> - fractured cables
> How hard is this to do?
>
> - damp?
> when sparkies were wiring in, house was not 100% watertight, and
building
was
> damp inside. Is this a factor?
>
> - bad modules
> how likely is it that modules are all faulty? not likely I suppose?
>
> - bad cable
> sparkies ran 4 cables from 4 separate boxes for each run of four cat5
sockets in
> each room. In total they used 16 separate boxes. How likely is it that
it
is a