Latest message you have seen: Re: 1TB "Green" Drives

Re: Networking problems.

Quoting Frank Mc Alinden <fmcalind@xxxxxxx>:

> Not something stupid like a dodgy patch lead to the computer or
Hub.....

> Must ensure that whatever your using for testing is working OK.. first
> !!!....
> Frank
>

>At the end of the day, it's only wire and sockets - it's no more
>complicated than wiring phone extensions. FWIW I'd put my money on
>the cables either not being punched down correctly, or being mis-
>labelled (which sounds like a complete nightmare with so many
>points). (One final outside possibility is that the cables have been
>fractured through rough handling, but it's pretty hard to do.)
>
>Patrick

Hi Frank & Patrick

I have eliminated the "simples" I think

- bad patch cable?
I have a single port where I can get a ping rate of 36ms to bbc.co.uk. I
then
take the same setup (PC & patch cable) to the other ports - different
room, 5
metres away and cannot get through to even browse the router.

- mislabelled
I have used a basic nework tester which lights up at both ends and cycles
through pins 1 to 8 - therefore I know that there is a signal going down
pin1,
which is received at pin1 in the cabinet end.

- bad punchdown
I need to check this again - sparky did use a krone tool, but need to
double check

- fractured cables
How hard is this to do?

- damp?
when sparkies were wiring in, house was not 100% watertight, and building
was
damp inside. Is this a factor?

- bad modules
how likely is it that modules are all faulty? not likely I suppose?

- bad cable
sparkies ran 4 cables from 4 separate boxes for each run of four cat5
sockets in
each room. In total they used 16 separate boxes. How likely is it that it
is a
bad batch?

Any experiences, suggestions most welcome. I agree with Patrick - just
cables
and sockets, how difficult can that be - ahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers

Umar