Latest message you have seen: RE: Recommendations for noise cancelling headphones...

Re: [OT] - Becoming a qualified electrician?

Hi Ben
Some comments below

>But you don't want to do that for 2 many years, well I don't. But then
again
>I know some people who love it.

Well i would say they are early twenties...can you imagine crawling round
roof spaces in your forties  ...Done my fair share  of domestic electrics
/security installs   luckily my main work these days is Industrial Machine
wiring....
Here in Oz the Plumbing  and Electrical trades are licensed and all
electrical  jobs done have to have  a Safety Certificate submitted to the
Chief Electrical Inspectors office within 2 days of completion...Public
Liability Insurance costs approx $500.00 per year plus your contractors
licence another $150.00 per year ....plus sparkies licence (5 year)

>The regs laws etc are getting harder to keep you with, so most
qualified
you
>are the better. Most people asked you now unless you are just doing
bits in
>houses and even then I have had one or two people ask me.

You can have qualifications coming out of your rear end but not much good
if
you dont have experience.....Most good House wirers here (mainly young
guys)
can do a rough in (first fit) of a 3 bedroom bv house (bungalow) in 4 to 5
hours......Timber frames make it much easier.....

The trade is still a 4 year apprenticeship and when i did it  it was c+g
"A"
Certificate and approved from memory.....

Here there are quite a few fines for bodgie wiring  work and even though
some sparkies dont do the trade any justice...the  work that some Joe
Public
people do is shocking ...pardon the pun.....

>The salary will take a knock for a while but sparks in my area
(Guildford)
>are currently earning around £280/day

$670.00.....If they are earning that then i would say they must be sweating
blood ...most industrial sparks that i know here would get around $500.00
per day..

Frank