Latest message you have seen: Re: CurrentCost external install

Re: [OT] PIC processor - Compression

Hi Clive,

The best method depends on the kind of data you're storing, such as whether
it's totally random or not, and if it's single bytes or strings.

Have a look a Huffman encoding though.  If you know the distribution of
values you're encoding you can optimise the tables for it, and it's dead
easy to implement (and to keep the code size small).

I've never tried putting it in a PIC, but it shouldn't be impossible.

David P.

Clive Chapman <clivechapman@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Sorry of the off topic post but I know there are some PIC users in this
group I thought might be able to help me.

I'm writing some PIC firmware for a PIC16F877 and need to store quite a bit
of data in FLASH. It's looking as though I may not be able to store all of
the data I want to and so wondered if any of the group members had found
any compression algorithms for the PIC.

I need to be able to store all HEX vales.

Clive
clivechapman@xxxxxxx

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - THIS WEEK!
http://www.ukha2004.com

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk

Member Offers - http://www.freeranger.co.uk/ukha