Latest message you have seen: RE: Recommendations for noise cancelling headphones...

cat5 cabling woes ...

  • Subject: cat5 cabling woes ...
  • From: umar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 10:36:23 +0100

Hi

I got my sparky to wire in my cat5 when we did our renovation.

He has some experience of wiring in data cables, but its not his main type
of work.

He has wired up the cabinet for me also - he got it wrong first time - pins
in
wrong order - but now they are wired up OK.

Problem I have is I cannot connect to router in node 0.

I have done following

connected router direct to PC - OK
changed patch cables - OK
changed to a different router - same problem

I have gone round the house and checked a number of wall oulets. All appear
fine
on by basic cat5 checker - ie pins light up 1 to 8 in order. Only on one
outlet
can I browse the router - albeit VERY VERY slowly - I then used that outlet
and
I get onto the web - www.bbc.co.uk - but VERY slowly indeed.

The sparky is going to get a "fluke" tester and test this evening
- if he can
hire one today.

Question is - what are likely problems ?

Cables go from wall, up into loft, and then down to node 0 via a
partitioned wall.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Umar