[OT] where can I get one! (was: Compaq Proliant Server help)

  • Subject: [OT] where can I get one! (was: Compaq Proliant Server help)
  • From: "matt_miles_uk" <m_miles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 09 May 2004 11:18:16 -0000

Hi again.

Back from Disney, rained the WHOLE time!  Oh well!

Anyone know where I can get a proliant at a reasonable price!  How
much do they cost?

Any advice appreciated (ie setting up etc) as i'm new to these
beasties!

Cheers,

Matt

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "matt_miles_uk" <m_miles@b...>

<nigel.giddings@u...>
> wrote:
> > Matt,
> >
> > I can confirm that the 6500 Proliants are very reliable and easy
> > upgrade with the right parts from Compaq / e-bay.
> >
> > I use them for reliability rather than speed. I am trying to get
the
> > bits together to add another shelf of storage at the moment,
again
> more
> > SCSI drives...
> >
> > Beware of the noise though, these push so much air through the
unit
> that
> > the noise would be very intrusive in a inhabited room....
> >
> > See http://photos.corbenic.co.uk/photos/photo_181.html
for an
idea
> of my
> > set-up. Also beware that the units are very deep, they hang out
the
> back
> > of my racks and of course they are heavy. I wasn't supplied with
the
> > slide out rails so have the units resting on small angle iron
pieces
> > (from B&Q) and fixed to the rack with the front bolts...
> >
> > One of the servers is for Homeseer, the only issue is I cannot
use a
> > sound card....
> >
> > Nigel

reliability.
> When
> > I bought mine (ebay) I was told that virtually every used
Proliant