RE: Coax question

  • Subject: RE: Coax question
  • From: "Hawes,Timothy Edward (GEG)" <haweste@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 19:03:59 +0100

Hi Stephen,

I'd suggest it's not just marketing, and you can also get it in brown too
;-)

If you look carefully at the shielding you'll see that the *digital*
satellite cable has a foil shield and a copper braid. The
"low-loss" TV coax only has a very wispy braid and no overall
shield. Digital satellite cable (typically CT100, or CT125 for longer runs)
is double screened, as described above, whereas some of the analogue cable
has a single shield, via braid, only.

Satellite signals are much higher frequency than regular broadcast TV, so
require a better quality cable to minimise losses.

I've bought my CT100 from Maplin & B&Q.

Cheers,

Tim H.

+