Re: Killer xAP/xPL app?

  • Subject: Re: Killer xAP/xPL app?
  • From: "Patrick Lidstone" <patrick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 02 May 2004 10:11:22 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, David Buckley <db@e...> wrote:

> The killer app - its a virtual serial port that acts as if its a
CM12U,
> whilst accepting and sending xAP and/or xPL on the network!

David, you're absolutely right, serial emulation is potentially a
great way to integrate devices, and something I've looked at in some
detail in the past. However, writing a virtual serial port driver
that is reliable and stable across various windows platforms is a
real challenge!

If you're prepared to sacrifice two serial ports (or maybe one, half
duplex) and loop them back, it becomes trivial, but that's a bit of a
nasty hack.

Patrick