Re: TV/Satellite distribution - 20 rooms

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, umar@d... wrote:

[story snipped]

The Globalcom boxes (available from CPC also) mentioned earlier do
this, you use the 3x4 multiswitch "out of the box" for satellite
feeds, buy the loop through model, and use as many as you need.

Just a note though - I had one of these back in analogue satellite
days (well, I just never went digital) and it introduced significant
picture degradation.  Just plain loss, I got sparkles.  In the
digital age, YMMV.

The only other piece of fun is multiplexing up all your RF sources.

Tip one - check out Keith's Taboo info.  Get your channels right.

Tip two - match your levels - use attenuators or amplifiers as
required

Tip three - dont cause loops.  If you want to bring a freeview
signal "back" to distribute, you need to re-modulate it,
otherwise
you'll have a loop.  Sat is easier, just dont plug anything into the
antenna socket on the sat box, then you can bring the RF back
directly to your RF mixer

Tip four - to mix your modulated signals use a CATV splitter in
reverse.  They are much better than cheapo plastic things.  CPC.

Tip five - terminate all unused ports with 75 ohm terminators,
available from CPC.

Tip six - use an antenna multiplexor (again, CPC, normally intended
for masthead installation to mix two antennas) - mount in node zero
to mix antenna and modulator signals.

Tip seven - good quality everything, or it really shows!

Tip eight - Buy an F-type crimper.

In my old terraced house I had crap quality coax I installed over
twenty years earlier, and was line of sight to Crystal Palace, so my
RF distribution was always horrible.  Finally solved it by using a
CATV "launch" amplifier, so the signal level was massive, with a
big
attenuator next to the tellys.  Solid pictures everywhere.  Took a
long time and several goes to get there though....