RE: monitor scratches

Hi Ho yin

Yes you can polish out a scratch in glass, but be warned its slow an
arduous
job. The most important point to remember is that by polishing a scratch
out
of glass you will be creating a concave in the glass and this 'can' be as
noticeable as the scratch as it will distort an image and reflect light.
The degree of success and work will depend on the length and deepness of
the
scratch.
You can use a polishing paste, Farecla G3 www.farecla.com would be a good
start. You could also try using something called "jewelers rouge
powder"
which is a very fine powder. You mix it with linseed oil to form a paste.
Its what a jeweler uses for removing scratches from gold, silver etc.
There are also stronger pastes specifically for glass cutting/polishing. If
you really are brave you can remove the worst of the scratch using 2000g
wet
and dry with soapy water.
To give you 'real' advise I would need to see the scratch but it can be
done, the use of a mechanical polishing aid can also be highly desirable
but
you will make plenty of mess!! Remember polish too long in one spot and
you'll just make a bigger concave!
If your really keen send me your address off-list and I'll send you a small
quantity of 200g wet and dry, G3 and Jewelers Rouge FOC.
Commercial alternatives are available from
http://www.esprit-usa.com/product/scratchaway.htm
but they will cost more
than your monitor! I can let you have links if you require commercial
products in the UK.

HTH

Rob