From: keyvan2r <keyvan@xxxxxxx>
To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
Sent: 25 February 2004 23:05
Subject: [ukha_d] Re: Touch Screen kiosk pc on ebay

Thanks Dave

I did not know it was so complex...
I don't really see the need to disconnect the LCD, it has very easy
flush-mount side-brackets and even if one is short on mounting depth
then with some creative metalwork the depth could be at least halved
without seperating the lcd from mobo.
As it comes, the quality and brightness is evey bit as good as the
15" DVI Gateway lcd which I have had for a few years now.

Keyvan
--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Dave McLaughlin <dave@v...> wrote:
> Hi Keyvan
>
> You can extend the LCD to CPU cable but only about a max of 20-
30cm at
> most. This is a high speed parallel connection so anything higher
and
> you will suffer from poor video quality with lines dropping or out
of
> sync etc. Believe me, I have tried with a VGA TFT which is
slightly
> lower frequency and it don't work.
>
> What you need to do is use an LVDS link instead. Advantech sell a
couple
> of boards to do this, but you are looking at over £100 for the 2
boards
> and around £20+ for the cable, which can be up to 20m long. This
is a
> very high speed serial link operating at a low 300mV signal level
or
> thereabouts. Speeds can be 1.5Gb/s or higher. I have seen that
some of
> the latest VIA Mini-ITX boards are going to be having an LVDS
> transmitter fitted so connecting a bare LCD will be much easier.
By the
> way, the digital connection is far superior to the Analog VGA
connection
> on most TFT monitors. DVI is a sort of LVDS type interface and
this is
> why it is much higher quality.
>
> Hope this helps
> Dave...

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@xxxxxxx