Re: [OTish] Solar powered access points.

  • Subject: Re: [OTish] Solar powered access points.
  • From: "Bob Calvert" <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 12:32:36 -0000

Solar is great for generating power in these kind of conditions, ie
its a lot more cheaper than digging up a load of road and sticking a
cable in, hence the amount of them popping up by the roadside. For
low current devices, a correctly rated panel, a charge controller,
and some lead acid batteries will certainly keep wireless access
points tickling away for ever.

We've just completed a project which uses 3x32watt panels to power a
stand-alone caravan-type unit, fitted with led lighting and a water
pump.

if you want them on your house, and be your own power station, then
they are affordable and theres also government grants for the
purpose. speak to someone like solar century for this info.

The issue with mains power is that it is the cheapest form of power
at the moment, since its being traded as a commodity, and as such we
are now buying power at the cheapest it has ever been (many would
argue too cheaply, if rumours as to the level of investment in the
grid etc are to be believed).
So if considering an alternative source, it makes it very difficult
to swing for the alternative variety when looking at price alone.

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Andy Davies" <dajdavies@c...>