Re: What are people using for DVD media servers?

  • Subject: Re: What are people using for DVD media servers?
  • From: "keyvan2r" <keyvan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 11:23:30 -0000

I used to use DVD Decrypter but have now moved to dvd-shrink 3.1.
It's a lot less complicated and you have the option to reduce size
if you want a movie on single layer (4.7 Gb) dvd blanks or you can
use no compression. It also does the whole region-free thing for you.
I store my dvd's on a 3Ghz pc using 6x200Gb SATA drives with RAID 0.
The mobo has 4xsata with silicon controller and another 2 which can
be assigned to a seperate volume. That's approx 1.1Tb (800 + 400
with the loss on quoted capacity).
For playback I use DVDLobby and TheaterTek player. I also have a
Sony DVD changer with 200 disks again controlled through DVDLobby
and Slink-e. DVDLobby knows which disks are kept on HD and which on
the changer. At some point I will move to a HD based system only but
then I need to look at somehting like the 3Ware SATA RAID 12 port
and a big case. Still cheaper than AMX MAX or other similar boxes.
Hence looking at the neuson for bedrooms etc.

Keyvan
--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Phil Harris" <phil@a...> wrote:

> I use DVD Decrypter to rip my DVD's in their entirity (6.5Gb per
DVD on
> average) - then use myHTPC / Daemon Tools / Zoomplayer / Girder /
PowerDVD