Latest message you have seen: Fw: TiVo About to Re-launch in the UK

Re: Airtunes has inspired me to...

  • Subject: Re: Airtunes has inspired me to...
  • From: "Patrick Lidstone" <patrick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 12:49:10 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Neil Fairbrother <neil@f...> wrote:
> get more out of my wifi network.
>
> > Now I've got my wifi network humming, with hifi over wifi about
> > happen, I want to really load the wireless bandwidth that I have.
> >
> > My old iMac acts as a wireless print server, so it's idle much of
the
> > time. I'd like to use this also for a home security hub and in
time a
> > control for all the other house systems - heating, intruder
alarms etc.

Native Mac HA software is a bit thin on the ground. There have been
reports of people successfully running much of the xAP stuff under
OSX ok, but it might take a bit of fiddling. I imagine that
MisterHouse has also been ported to OSX by now.

> > So I'm looking to sprinkle a number of digital cameras around the
house
> > - externally mounted. I'd like them to be unobtrusive, not heavy
> > industrial items. They need to be wifi, and mains powered. I'd
like to
> > be able to record still images of reasonable quality for say 4
weeks,
> > from each camera. PTZ isn't particularly important. I'm running
OSX, so
> > either OSX native control software or browser controls will be
fine.
> > Black and White would be fine, colour during the day with B&W
night is
> > ideal.
> >
> > Can you make any recommendations?

I don't know what's available by way of video capture software for
the Mac natively, but if you got an MV1000 or equivalent, you should
be able to pull still images off up to 8 cameras and archive them
locally on your hard disk using a simple bit of applescript or
cronjob+shell script. If you can't find an MV1000, then the majority
of cameras with integral IP connectivity should let you do something
similar (e.g. axis webcams IIRC), but this is unlikely to be as cost-
effective.

HTH
Patrick