PC Interfacing

Hi,

I am after either a home-brew or 'proper' IO Solution for HA purposes.
I want a device, ideally serial, that i can plug into the PC and
drive a few outputs, and get input from various sensors.  It would be
handy if the data was easy to get at as well, but I'm happy cutting
my own code.
At the moment I'm using the Parallel port but its not really going to
be a suitable long term solution and I want to use that for a printer!

I have tried google and maplins but I can't seem to find the right
things to search for! Do these things have a proper name? (IO Card is
to generic)

Thanks again,

Alistair