RE: [OT] Connect 2 computers using wireless, whats is required please?

  • Subject: RE: [OT] Connect 2 computers using wireless, whats is required please?
  • From: "Andy Laurence" <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 14:34:07 +0100

From: Gary [mailto:questuk1@xxxxxxx]
> I have never networked before!
>
> I wish to connect to computers running Win 98(one laptop and one PC)
> via wireless USB adaptors.
>
> If i plug in an adaptor in each, via usb port will they
"seek" each
> other and work like that or do I have to get a wireless hub as well?

Set each adapter to Ad-hoc mode, and set the SSID to the same thing on each
one.  This will get them on the same physical network.  Unless you use ICS
(see below), you will need to configure IP addresses too.  Open the network
properties (Network icon in Control Panel), and define a static IP on each
machine.  Try using 192.168.10.10 on one, and 192.168.10.11 on the other
with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 on each one.  With out ICS, you won't
need a default gateway.

> Mainly it will be used to transfer files, and use the printer attached
> to the laptop.
>
> It would be nice to use the modem in the Laptop from the PC, but I am
> not sure if this would work?

If you set up Internet Connection Sharing on the laptop, this will do what
you want.  It will also mean you don't need to configure IP addresses on
each machine.  I forget how this is done exactly, but a quick Google will
find the results for you.

Cheers,
Andy
--