Latest message you have seen: RE: Solar PV Monitoring

RE: Wireless access

  • Subject: RE: Wireless access
  • From: "Andy Laurence" <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 09:03:24 +0100

From: Tim Fletcher [mailto:timfletcher@xxxxxxx]
> As I don't have BB : (((( and it looks like I'll never get it I want
to add
> a single laptop onto my network wirelessly - What should I buy?  Is it
just
> a matter of getting a Wireless access point and wiring it into my hub?
> Would it be better if I bought a Wireless ADSL Router (Vigor2600 or
similar)
> and just used the wireless features of it until I move house or get
BB?

> Any suggestions for what flavours of kit would be appreciated as it is
all
> new to me.

Personally, I'd go with a wireless access point, or a highly configurable
router such as the Linksys WRT54G.  The bonus of the WRT54G is the ability
to implement firewalling from the wireless to the wired network.  A normal
access point will just connect any wireless device within range to your
wired network.  Mind you, that's all I've done, but I don't run any
services in the network that I don't run on the 'net.  Have you considered
finding someone you can see from your house who may be able to get
broadband, and asking them to get an antenna on their roof so you can leech
bandwidth?  I find offering free broadband often tempts people ;-)

Cheers,
Andy
--
http://www.andylaurence.co.uk