Re: Tivo Dead Hard Drive?

Mailing Lists wrote:

> Does this sound like the hard drive is on the way out?

It'd be my first stab at diagnosis, certainly sounds like it :(

> possible to do a Ghost (assuming the existing drive lasts long
enough)? This
> would save me from having to go through the time consuming task of
setting
> it all up from scratch.  Or if I follow the freeranger.co.uk guide
again and
> do the copy that way, will it "mirror" the old drive (i.e.
keep all the
> Airnet drivers and settings, tivoweb and other customisations)?

You can't use Ghost with the Tivo's filesystem, but you might be able to
do a traditional upgrade (backing up the current drive to a fat drive
then restoring to the new drive - Hinsdale's guide at
http://www.newreleasesvideo.com/hinsdale-how-to/index9.html
) - that's
likely to give less problems than Tony's freeranger stuff which IIRC is
using dd to copy recordings too - hopefully any bad sectors etc are in
video sections and not in your settings, but dd would either fall over
or not be very happy and time out I guess on those sectors. And yes,
that would save all your settings

Worst comes to the worst, you can download a virgin Tivo image from me
via BitTorrent, but that would nuke all your settings... you might want
to investigate the TivoWeb backup module (
http://www.boygenius.co.uk/tivo/index.html
), as a sort of last ditch
method... you'd use that to backup your season passes, restore from a
virgin image and then restore the backup once you'd manually
re-installed TivoWeb etc.

HTH!
--
Doogie