Re: {OTish} Power consumption

Matthew Miles wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I have never had a problem with leaving my PC's on 24/7 (the HA
> system NEVER gets turned off [except for maintainance]).  However, I
> was wondering how much this impacts on my leccy bill... I was
> horrified to find that 100W of power costs 15.6p/hr!  That means a
> 400W powerpack costs £14 a day to run!  PLEEEASE tell me that this is
> wrong! That was for 1 PC and I run at least 4 at all times (including
> some Compaq SCSI enclosures with 750W powerpacks!)
>
> Can anyone clarify?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Matt

That is wrong.  Electricity is sold by the kW hour, (1000W/hr) so you're
probably out by 10 times to start with.  Where did the figure of 15.6p come
from?  5p would be more likely.

That 400W supply at 5p/kW hour would cost 48p per day, assuming you don't
have any cheap rate supplies, and even then only if it was running at full
load (unlikely).

Mal