Experienced Electrician Wanted - to try CBus, Cat 5 and maybe Comfort

  • Subject: Experienced Electrician Wanted - to try CBus, Cat 5 and maybe Comfort
  • From: nick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2004 21:29:53 -0000

Folks,

The new house looks like it's happening (Woodville, South
Derbyshire).  It's too late in the build to start persuading the
builder to do any fancy electrical stuff (it's already plastered).

That means any work will have to be done after legal completion and
before SWMBO gets too settled and into carpet fitting etc!  The kind
of thing I am thinking of is:

- CBus panel installation in garage.

- Replace most looped in light fittings with
cables direct back to CBus panel.

- Replace most light switches with "pink" Cat5.

- Some extra (5 amp) table light points
cabled back to CBus panel.

- New outside lighting cabled back to
CBus panel.

- Add Main and Low Voltage cables to most
curtain locations, other end to future
location of Comfort (garage again).

- Most rooms already have a phone socket. Replace
these with multiple runs of Cat5.

- Cat5 drops to a few new locations.

- Patch panel in garage.

- Pre-cabling for Comfort keypads etc (standard
fit is a British Gas alarm).  Comfort fit
will probably be later.

- Fit external CCTV cameras (coming with us
from the old house, with RG59 cabling back
to garage.

Walls are standard drylined.  All of this stuff I could probably do
myself (I have been boning up on CBus and Comfort for yonks now and
in reality am eager to get started).  The issue is the available
time - once we complete the purchase, SWMBO will want to get all the
work done pronto.  Also, the fact that it would be quite a big job
to tackle on a DIY basis!  Hence, someone who has done this sort of
thing (getting cables into dubious places in walls and under floors)
before is what I need.

It's too soon for any formal estimates or visits to the property as
we have yet to exchange contracts.  However, I am in the process of
preparing a detailed list of what needs doing which should allow me
to get some idea.

If anyone is interested in taking on this challenge, please contact
me off list; and I'll send you more information as soon as I have it
ready.  Recommendations from satisfied customers also welcome!

I have already had one offer of help (you know who you are - you'll
get the details shortly).

Many thanks,

Nick