Whole House Audio Questions

  • Subject: Whole House Audio Questions
  • From: "markttay" <markttay@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2004 08:22:38 -0000

I am in the process of building a new house, and aim to incorporate=20
many HA features. One thing I plan to do is install a whole house=20
audio system. I would like to eliminate the use of IR in the house=20
and control everything from a browser interface on Ipaqs or similar=20
via a wireless network. I also cannot afford to shell out a fortune=20
on proprietary systems from Linn, Crestron and the like. I have been=20
experimenting with a Barix Exstreamer and have found them pretty=20
good, particularly the ability to control playlists etc. via a web=20
interface. I plan to have and Exstreamer (or similar) for each zone=20
in a central location connected to an amplifier wired to sets of=20
speakers. I believe that a centralised system will be easier to=20
maintain and there is less chance of signal degradation running the=20
speaker output across longer distances than line level.

One challenge I have is on amplification. Barix do a version of the=20
Exstreamer with a built in 10watt per channel amplifier =96 this
will=20
not be sufficient for my requirements. I am therefore looking for a=20
suitable amplifier of 30 watts per channel or more that I can link=20
to the output of the Exstreamers. At present the volume control (via=20
the web interface) of the Exstreamer seems to boost the line level,=20
which, when I tested it at higher levels created distortion when put=20
through my standard hifi system. Should I therefore be looking for=20
some kind of pre-amplifier stage that sits between the power=20
amplifier and Exstreamer so that the Exstreamer line level stays=20
constant, or is boosting the line level exactly what a pre-amp does?=20
Can anyone suggest such a pre-amp (or integrated amplifier) that can=20
be controlled via an IP interface and will not break the bank?

The other thing that would be a nice to have is to use the whole=20
house audio for sound from TV and video sources that would also be=20
centralised. I was thinking of using something like Keith Doxey's=20
Kat5 Switcher (if/when it arrives!) or a Nexus for the video signal=20
but have the sound come from the appropriate zone in the whole house=20
audio system. I am not sure about being able to synchronise the=20
video and audio though. I would be very grateful for any thoughts or=20
suggestions.

Mark Taylor=20=20=20