Re: Asterisk

  • Subject: Re: Asterisk
  • From: "Patrick Lidstone" <patrick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 20:43:33 -0000

> I eventually could make FWD calls with outbound audio only. Patrick
had
> noticed that my asterisk was always putting my local ip address in
its
> headers to fwd instead of my external ip. I have not managed to
correct
> this. I moved the linux box back to work today and after
reconfiguring the
> router there I had exactly the same problems ie only one way audio.

Have you tried pulling a more recent version from CVS? Maybe this is
just a transient bug in asterisk - it seems odd, given the effort
you've put in, that you haven't got this completely cracked.

> Earlier tonight whilst experimenting I was able to make a call
between two
> softphones via fwd both behind my NAT which I thought wasn't
possible!

Softphones, if they are fwd aware, can do this. I don't know of any
hardphones which are sufficiently nat-aware to get away with it.

> And to finish off does anyone know if it is possible for me to use
an IP
> phone behind my home networks NAT and connect to asterisk which is
now
> behind my works networks NAT? I'm guessing not but maybe someone
has some
> routing solution!

Yes, this is definitely possible. Your home phone needs to be NAT
aware, and you may need to set up port forwarding on your local
router to route SIP and RTP traffic to your softphone. If you have a
STUN aware router this will just work out the box. No reconfig needed
on the work side - beyond allowing incoming connections on SIP and
RTP ports to your asterisk box, and adding the SIP extension to your
config. In addition to authenticating, you can also batten this down
to your home IP router address for additional security.

Patrick