Latest message you have seen: Video Tour of Brilliant Living's HQ

Re: moving to linux

  • Subject: Re: moving to linux
  • From: "mark_harrison_uk2" <mph@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 18:28:20 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "aashram" <groups@a...> wrote:
> thanks jim
> have you got a site where I can download it the linus from ?
> I have a powerbook with osx and love it. I just hate apple support.
> it lets the side down

Personally, I use Debian (which you can download from www.debian.org)
I tend to download the "CD image", and haven't had problems
getting
this work.

While I appreciate that there are some good linux people on UKHA, I've
found that my local "LUG" (Linux User Group) runs an excellent
mailing
list on which all kinds of questions from the "how do I get
started?"
through to the "how do I configure the pink widge in aardvarkware
under gentoo?" tend to get answered.

I'm a member of three lists, Orpington, Sussex and Ottawa. The
Orpington one is effectively dead - the other two are stuffed with
good people.

The other thing that LUGs do is that many of them run local, normally
monthly, meetings where you can chat face-to-face (speaking of which,
how about a UKHA London mini-meet - see next post.)

Regards,

Mark