Latest message you have seen: Re: Re: More new Mac mini rumors...

Re: [OT] WAN throughput comparisons

  • Subject: Re: [OT] WAN throughput comparisons
  • From: "Patrick Lidstone" <patrick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 21:07:24 -0000

> Also you don't *NEED* that HD bandwidth either - I've had 4 full
bitrate
> movies playing back off one firewire hard disc without stuttering at
all
> (haven't tried more than four).
>=20
> What I plan to do is chuck a gigabit card in the server, use a 48 x
10/100 +
> 2 x 10/100/1000 NetGear Switch (about =A3300) and robert is most
definitely
> your mothers brother...
>=20
> ...*WAY* more bandwidth there than you need for four movies at a time,
> probably enough for a dozen!*
>=20
> (*hard disc access times permitting)
>=20

A lot depends on the underlying network protocols. If you multicast
your movies, you may well struggle to gain more than 3x the throughput
on a gigabit card when compared with 100baseT IME. This is more a
reflection of TCP/IP stack and driver maturity than anything else,
although other factors come into play too. Bottom line is: don't be
surprised if gigabit performance is disappointing.

Patrick