Latest message you have seen: RE: Re: FREE TO A GOOD HOME APC UPS

Re: [OT] Free NAS software - useful for media servers?

  • Subject: Re: [OT] Free NAS software - useful for media servers?
  • From: "Matthew Miles" <m_miles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 21:17:13 -0000

Hi Lee.

The reason I was so interested in this was mainly the web-based
GUI.  I would like to be able to configure it via  secure area on my
website etc.

Failing that a remote desktop would be ok.  How do you configure
yours?  Oh, and do you just install Fedora2 and Samba on inital
setup?

I have been reading up on this for a while, but as I am heavily
reliant on Windows I don't have time to learn a new Os - the web
admin means I don't have to.

Any thoughts?

Regards,

Matt

P.S

Would Novell 5.1 be of any use as I have a copy sitting next to my
desk!

> Funnily enough, I've been playing at NAS's for the last few weeks,
looking
> for an 'instant' and 'free' NAS solution...
>
> I've found a few but they are all deficient (in my view) of a few
bits, like
> lack of an FTP server, like (in this case) too demanding hardware
(I had a
> Pentium II 333Mhz box I wanted to recycle), etc... so in the end I
decided,
> in true UKHA fashion was just to read up on the subject and do it
myself...

> It took about three days to sort out, including a post to UKHA,
however 2.9
> of those days were me being dense and not CHMODing (giving write
access) the
> shared folders... what a plonker...
>
> I'm no Linux expert, and I only vaguely knew of SAMBA, but it's
basically a
> piece of cake, when I was done I even reformated / reinstalled to
make sure
> it hadn't be a fluke and I had understood everything, but it only
took about
> 20-25 mins to sort it all out the second time around. So, old
Pentium II
> 333Mhz, old 128MB SD-RAM, old case, old 100mbit lan card, old 2GB
boot
> drive, old CD drive, 3 downloaded CDs of Fedora Core 2 (the new
community
> Red Hat), and a NEW 120GB harddrive...
>
> Lee

(for info)