From: Phil Harris [mailto:phil@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 24 July 2004 18:00
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [ukha_d] OT (sorta) Phil Harris caught again

> Hmmm.. Interesting... Im currently wrestling with a belkin G access
> point that seems to stop working after a certain amount of data has
> been transferred... Bloomin annoying that one!

I have the Belkin 54g AP too - lift it off the surface it is stood on by
about an inch - I find mine is very susceptible to getting warm and then
dropping out. I have mine sat on an empty packing tape reel and it has been
fine now since I put it on there.

> The second ram slot is the little cover on the bottom of the laptop
> (in the middle with the grill) and underneath is one single 256MB
> sodimm - the other
> 256 is onboard.  Sony claim a maximum of 1GB on this laptop, but I
> just slammed in the 1GB sodimm I swapped from my PowerBook before I
> sold it and everything has been great since!

You sure about the second 256Mb being soldered to the board?

Just looking at the Sony "VAIO-Link" website for instructions on
how to
upgrade the RAM on the VAIO and it definitely says "Please note that
there
are NO available slots on this VAIO model - If you wish to upgrade the
memory, you must first remove one of the memory modules so that you can
replace it with a larger module. " and then goes on to describe how to
get
to the slot on the bottom of the machine and the slot underneath the
keyboard. Plus I'm sure I read elsewhere that the max memory for the
VGN-A117S was 2Gb???

> The only niggle I have is it would be nice to have a faster hard
> drive, you can at times tell the hard disk is playing catch up...
> Sadly there arent any faster 2.5" 80giggers... Yet :-)

Wonder if the VAIO will support >128Gb drives when they eventually make
it
to production...

...speed isn't a problem for me. *SIZE* is! (I hold movies on my HD for
watching when I'm bored.)

Phil