Re[2]: 160gb drive seen as 127gb - under windows 2k

This sounds like your IDE controler (motherboard/BIOS) cannot recognise
large IDE disks. This (127GB) is the old IDE limit and no matter what the
size of the disk is the BIOS and subsequently Windows will see it as 127GB.
It will work ok but you are losing (in your case) 33Gb. As you have flashed
the bios on the motherboard with the latest BIOS then it seems that your
motherboard cannot support higher capacities. You have two choices:

1) change the motherboard
2) get a PCI IDE controller (an ATA133 compatible or better) and connect
your drive through that controller.

I hope this helps

Vassilis

At 08:56 23/07/2004, you wrote:
>JN> <http://www.48bitlba.com/index.htm>http://www.48bitlba.com/index.htm
>
>I read this thread and realised I have a 160Gb drive and Windows 2000.
>Sure enough, Windows reports it as 127Gb. I flashed the latest bios so
>the bios should be large drive comptible.
>
>I also visited the url above. They have some downloads: there is a
terrible
>trial version that does not work, but there is also a small, free
program to
>set the windows registry. I used the latter and windows is now set-up
>correctly. BTW I read the Microsoft knowledge base which tells you how
>to change the registry yourself with regedit, but I could not get it to
>accept the given string.
>
>I also have windows automatically download its updates (is this a good
>or bad thing to have an MS "trojan" on my system?) and it
says it is