Latest message you have seen: RE: Anyone seen the xantech touchscreens at lets automate

RE: Re: ADSL Filter Probs

  • Subject: RE: Re: ADSL Filter Probs
  • From: "Stephen Jones" <ukha@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 22:53:47 +0100

From: David Buckley [mailto:db@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 22 July 2004 22:21
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: [ukha_d] Re: ADSL Filter Probs

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Mark McCall" <lists@a...> wrote:
>> ADSL just fitted yesterday.  I bought one of the BT style
>> filter faceplates for my NTE5 master socket ... Unfortunately
>> the phones round the house are still very noisy so the filter
>> doesn't seem to be doing the job.  Any ideas?

I had this very same problem with a master filter/splitter faceplate where
it wasn't removing the noise from the telephones when the router was turned
on. I was tight for time so I simply plugged a second ADSL filter (normal
type supplied with routers) into the supposedly filtered telephone outlet
on
the filter faceplate.

> The thing called a "filter" is not really a filter at all,
its a
> crossover network, that allows low frequencies (ie audio) through to
> the phones, and high frequencies (above audio range) through to the
> ADSL socket.

Hmmm... as far as I am aware, even if ADSL is "turned on" on your
telephone
line, you will not hear any noise on unfiltered telephones until the router
is switched on. Any ADSL filter should separate the two frequencies so as
telephones have no audible noise, but obviously some are less effective
than
others. And the noise heard on the line varies from phone to phone.

Does anyone know if the effectiveness of the filter has anything to do with
the local line characteristics? i.e. would Mark's filter work properly in
someone else's house? Or is it simply a cheaply made filter?

SJ