RE: Re: Media Servers - Big Hard Drives

James,

Ouch on the Firewire controller! =A341!!!!

I bought about 2 years ago an external firewire case with internal PSU=20
capable of handling 2 HDs for =A350.

=A341 just for the controller seems to be a tad expensive if you ask me!

Ho yin

At 09:10 21/07/2004, you wrote:
> > I'm just waiting for some "spare funds" (if such things
exist) to
> > order up a
> > couple of these for myself (I need to re-house 16 x 160Gb drives
> > in a server
> > reshuffle which I *MUST* get done soon) . I have been wondering
> > about using
> > multiple (two or four) separate firewire interfaces in the PC to
> > get better
> > throughput from these enclosures and also to tidy up cabling a
> > bit, however
> > I think the multiple port PCI cards are effectively one firewire
interf=
ace
> > and an integrated firewire hub so I need to find a firewire card
that h=
as
> > multiple firewire interfaces rather than a single hubbed
interface. The
> > short firewire cables that would be used ideally to loop between
> > interfaces
> > on the enclosure seem to be exhorbitantly expensive - about twice
> > the price
> > of a 2m cable! (Little demand for them I suppose.)
>
>You could also look at
><http://www.span.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=3D29_1308&products_id=
=3D1073>http://www.span.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=3D29_1308&produc=
ts_id=3D1073
>if you want to "roll your own".
>
>We've (Mark and me) been trying to work out how to build a rackmount
>enclosure with "quite a few" 300GB drives in connected to a
server via
>firewire (without paying the earth).  So far using these firewire/IDE
>bridges to serve a pair of drives, and with one of these
><http://www.imashape.com/4858.htm>http://www.imashape.com/4858.htm
we=20
>reckon on being able to get 2.4TB into
>4U.  Can't seem to find a UK supplier of the enclosure though :(
>
>James
>

>Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
><http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=3D129j9a4eo/M=3D283686.4531047.5839501.442002=
9/D=3Dgroups/S=3D1705041992:HM/EXP=3D1090483807/A=3D2044486/R=3D0/SIG=3D10s=
vm8ftb/*http://www.theironshop.com>