Re: Re: Media Servers - Big Hard Drives

keyvan2r wrote:

> http://www.specialtech.co.uk/spshop/catalog/product_531_8_bay_Hard_Dr
> ive_Enclosure_Black.html
>
> It's not clear as to how the 8 drives behave in operation. Is each
> drive connected to a seperate firewire port? Or are they seen as one
> big firewire drive made of 8 ide drives?
> Anyone used something like this? - IDE to firewire external drive
> enclosure

I have one of the two bay ones. You get a firewire adapter card per two
bays, and each one can address two HDs. They will appear as separate
harddrives (although I'm running mine as a software RAID 1 array - if
you can call two discs an array ;-)

With the 8 bay box, you'd presumably daisy chain the f/w i/fs. In
theory, you could fit some of those 3-into-2 drive cages, install some
extra f/w i/fs, and run 12 drives in total.

An alternative would be to buy something like this:

http://www.imashape.com/4u-menu.htm#4808
(www.continental.co.uk sell them)

Stuff a small m/b in it and use a cutdown-linux based NAS...

Jim