Re: Tomtom sat nav gps with ipaq

I believe that the last two letters are known as the 'walk' (although
I'm not sure if this is official).  I remember working with the PAF
some years back and these were always problematic as, back then at
least, the 'walk' was assigned by the local post office / man as
these represented the actual route taken by the postie. Consequently
sometimes they represent the odd numbers as you walk up one side of a
street and another one represents the evens.  For small streets (cul-
de-sac) the postcode might be the whole street.

I think that these days each part of the postcode has a geographic
ref that represents the rough centre of the part of the code used.
(When I was working on geog referencing some years back this sounded
great but we found that on curved streets the reference was often the
geographic centre and could sit on a different street entirely. I
wonder if this has been fixed!)

Consequently it would seem that Tom Tom has the database held down to
the sector level.  Holding it down to the walk level would (I guess)
require considerably more storage (don't know if this is an issue)
and probably costs quite a bit more in licensing.

Hope the trivia is interesting;-)

Regards

Richard

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "James Hoye" <yahoo@j...> wrote:
> > It knows "LS3 1" of "LS3 1AB"
> > It knows "LS29 1" of "LS29 1AB" (or it would,
if LS29 1AB was a
real
> > postcode).
> >
> > In other words, it doesn't know the letters bit of the
"minor"
part of
> > postcodes. (No doubt the post office have a technical name for
that
> > part of the postcode but I don't know what it is!)
>
> The "1" part is called the sector, but I don't know the
other bits .

> The whole "1AB" part is known as the "outbound"
part, with
the "LS3" or