Re: 160gb drive seen as 127gb - under windows 2k

One thing to watch out for:

I lost a load of downloaded (and not yet backed up) MP3s yesterday when
I reinstalled Windows 2000.  The disk holding the MP3s is a 160Gb drive,
and is only used for this - windows is on a physically different disk.

Apparently, Windows 2000 has no support for drives above 128Gb, until it
has been patched with Service Pack 3 or later.

After I had installed Windows, but before patching, the machine was
rebooted, and decided that my MP3 drive had errors, and "moved"
all my
"orphaned" mp3 files into their own directories - which I could
not find
anywhere on the machine afterwards.

Now I have to download that lot again :-(  So beware - if using Win2k,
make sure you get the service pack on straight away.

I'm sure NTL are going to have a good moan when I do another 9Gb
download ;-)

Mal

Jim Noble wrote:

>John Andrews wrote:
>

>>Hi Group
>>
>>I remember someone suffering from this the other week, but can find
the
>>posts.
>>
>>I have a drive (basic) that is 160gb, but I can only make
partitions that