Re: Tomtom sat nav gps with ipaq

  • Subject: Re: Tomtom sat nav gps with ipaq
  • From: "David Cole" <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 19:10:44 -0000

Stephen

I've been using the POI speedcamera database from Pocket GPS World
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/uksafetycameras.php
I use this together=20
with POI Warner http://www.navigating.de/ which lets
me know when I'm=20
coming upto a Speedcamera or any other POI.

To keep everything in synch I use POI handler http://www.poihandler.
com/ this is a subscription service but only costs a few pounds per=20
year and has lots of POI databases that can be loaded onto the pda
and shown via tomtom.

I've only recently upgraded to TomTom 3 and everything seems=20
reasonably stable although a couple of times I have had everything go=20
to a blank screen but I've found that this is easyily rectified by=20
pressing the application selection button (I've forgotten the real=20
name for it) then re selecting TomTom.

Regarding the TomTom Go, I'm still not sure if it will accept=20
different POI databases and none of the reviews I've read have said=20
that you can. So even though it looks great I'm sticking with my Ipaq=20
for the time being.

HTH

Dave

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Stephen <yahoo@s...> wrote:
> DC> Do you know if you can add the speed camera POI database to
the=20
GO??
>=20
> Now I remember why I started the thread! I have got tomtom working=20
but
> I read here that you could download an overlay of where speed=20
cameras
> are. Obviously these are only situated in accident black spots, so=20
it
> would be nice to have a warning that you are in a black spot area,=20
so
> that the driver can take extra-special care.
>=20
> I looked at this before and I thought it cost =A350ish for a year's
> subscription to the database, but when I visited the url I got from
> reading ukha_d, the download seemed free. Is it really? I am not=20
used
> to such generosity.
>=20
> I also had to download Points of Interest checker (again, url from
> reading ukha_d - thanks!)but I can't get it to work. The page for=20
POI
> checker has instructions for tomtom1 and tomtom2 but not tomtom3.=20
Have