WiFi for beginners?

Hi,

I have bought a Wifi router which is pretty straightforward in as much
as you plug one end into your pc and the other into your modem and it
works without any complicated setting-up, which is just as well
because the instructions that came with it are practically
non-existent. My worry is that anyone driving by could go online via my
modem and I'd get in trouble if they did bad things! Is there a guide
anywhere to WiFi for beginners? I'd like to know how to encrypt the
connection and only allow access to certain devices, i.e. my own!

I had a non-wifi router with a print server before and I had hoped to
plug the one into the other (before you ask, the wifi router was
cheaper than a wifi access point which is why I bought a second
router, and I also thought it would allow me to extend my wired
network in the future too). The problem is being made by the same
manufacturer, both have the same address, so I can only configure the
nearest on to my pc! Is there any way around this?

Thanks.