Re: dedicated cd players versus jukebox software: which is best?

  • Subject: Re: dedicated cd players versus jukebox software: which is best?
  • From: "keyvan2r" <keyvan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 17:10:34 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, lists@a... wrote:
> > I was thinking of making images of my cds onto the hard drive
and then
> > using some jukebox software to play them, but I have now seen
that
> > Sony sell a cd player that hold 300 discs! What are the
> > advantages/disadvantages of each option? Which is best?

I would also vote for the HD solution, although jus now I have both
cd changer/slinke/cdj and the well publicised MusicLobby/MC10.
I have had the slinke for about 3 years now and it has not let me
doen yet. I use it with a couple of Sony CDX450's and an IR
controlled TOSlink switcher feeding into an outboard DAC (MSB Tech
Link DAC III) But about 20 months ago I bit the bullet and
transfered to HD. Initially I went with WAV, feeding the same DAC
from a pc. I could not tell the difference between that and CD's -
and I use reasonably expensive B&W Nautilus speakers with Krell amps.
Then I got tempted by WMP9 and it's lossless wma format, mostly due
to poor tagging for wav's. Although I think that the original cd's
sound very slightly better than wma lossless, other issues such as
volume leveling, cross-fading, and gapless playlists all make a
convincing case for the HD solution.
I still keep the cd changers (2x400) as it is a fairly easy way to
store and find my original CD's with CDJ(CD racks would cost
more!!), as well as being another sound source. If I had to do it
again, I would go the same way but rip to .ape lossless format. I
find it to be slightly better than wma, but more importantly I don't
have to worry about how MS will build restrictions on future
products with regard to DRM or "water-marking" my tracks - all of
which have been legally obtained and copied for "fair-use".
This also means that I can transcode tracks and lists on the fly
into more compressed formats for use on PPC's, IPODs and the like.

HTH

Keyvan