Re: Touchscreens

  • Subject: Re: Touchscreens
  • From: "keyvan2r" <keyvan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 18:58:03 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Paul Gale" <groups@s...> wrote:
> Keyvan,
>
> What type of PC do you use with the screen? Is it on 24/7 so it's
always available or do you have some kind of instant boot setup?

> Paul.

Hi Paul

On this particular monitor which is in a bar area of the 2nd main
reception, I am using an Asus Pundit pc (barbones) with a 2.8Ghz P4
and 512Mb RAM. PC is on 24/7 but goes to "sleep"/suspend when not
used for a while. The machine comes alive with simple touch of
screen (about 6-8 seconds) and the interface becomes functional in
about 2 seconds after that. The bar has some glass fronted fridges
at the rear which are on all time the so that drowns noise anyway!!
I have "stripped" win xp pro using greogryx's guide which is
mainly
for getting the progear to run XP, I do this for all 7 ML clients
and it does make a difference to the level of XP's availablity and
speed.
I don't run an instant boot setup - I have toyed with the idea of
clients with non-volatile memory devices and no HD / silent pc, but
for now I am using fairly standard SFF pc's for my fixed clients.
There is a good discusssion by blafarm on the cinemar forum where he
is looking at multi-monitor client cluster pc with touch-screens
connected to by vga and serial/usb over cat5. This may be another
way to "skin the same cat" when looking at robust touch-screen
infrastructure for use around the house.

Regards

Keyvan