Re: Driveway sensors

  • Subject: Re: Driveway sensors
  • From: "robkearns" <robkearns@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 16:48:02 -0000

Thanks for all the replies.

I was planning to use the same sensors as Mark but after reading the
replies I'm not sure that's what I need.

I had planned to have a movement sensor under each spot and just keep
track of the state of each car spot, i.e. car in, car out. But
thinking about it I released that it would soon get out of sync. I
suppose I could have three sensors, one at the driveway entrance and
one at the end of each car spot and use them as Mark does to track if
the car is arriving or leaving, but for each car spot.

I know you can reduce the sensitivity of the sensor but the sensor at
the entrance to the driveway would only be a few metres from the
parked cars on the road outside. Can I reduce the sensitivity to only
a couple of metres?

The  M-GAGE S18M Series looks interesting but will it detect a
stationary vehicle, the PDF seems to imply it does. How would you
connect this to a Comfort systems? Would you require their control
box? If so then it would probably get prohibitively expensive.

May be beam sensors are the way to go...

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Mark McCall" <lists@a...> wrote:
> > This is one solution that may have another solution after the few
> > years since Mark installed his sensors, anyone done anything
> > different?
>
> My sensors work perfectly.  There are two of them to detect
movement, and
> the order in which they go off gives direction of travel.  They also
go off
> a few seconds before the thunder :)
>
> However this is a different requirement, it's not a movement sensor
that's
> required in this application. Its more of an "occupancy"
sensor for