RE: Any tips for plastic working.

  • Subject: RE: Any tips for plastic working.
  • From: "James Hoye" <yahoo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 10:57:54 +0100

> I have an LCD display that I bought years ago, that I would like to
> mount in a plastic single backbox faceplate. I have a Dremmel (well, a
> cheap equivelent, does that same job) and various saws, but what I
> always strugle with when doing anything other than drilling holes is
> keeping the lines straight.
>
> Does anyone have any tips for cutting a straight line in plastic? What
> do you use to do it?
>
> How do you smooth off the edges so that they remain straight, I find
> that the dremmel melts the plastic and leaves a non-straight edge, a
> nasty black burn mark and a nasty smell too.

Bear in mind that there are different materials used to make the faceplate
blanks - some are easier to work than others!  Normal faceplates tend to be
quite brittle, but you may be able to source some that are softer (PVC)
which will makes things easier.

I would mark out the area with something like a chinograph pencil and drill
a series of small holes (say 3mm) inside the area you want to cut out.
Drill a larger hole that will take a junior hacksaw blade and use that to
start cutting the area out.

Once you have removed the centre bit, use a fairly wide file to smooth the
edges back to the line, checking that the display fits.  This won't be
quick....  but do you want SWMBO to be bowled over and give you the green
light to actually put it on a wall?  ;)

James H