Dodgy disc, player or TV?

  • Subject: Dodgy disc, player or TV?
  • From: "Mal Lansell" <mlansell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2004 10:36:15 +0100

I was watching the first Lord of the Rings film on DVD (region 2) last
night, and noticed some horrible problems with black areas of the screen.
In dark scenes, the areas that should have been the blackest were instead
tinted a dark red colour - lighter than the surrounding "almost
blacks",
which were displayed correctly.  The black bars above and below the picture
were also displayed with a dark reddish tint.  This effect is bad enough in
RGB mode; using the composite connection it's so bad as to be unwatchable.

Has anyone else seen artifacts like this on this DVD?  None of my discs
seem
to exhibit this problem.  I ask because if there was an encoding fault that
has been rectified in later batches, then I could potentially get the disk
swapped for a newer one, otherwise I guess I'm stuck with it.

On a maybe related note, in LOTR: The Return of the King, in the scene
after
the ring has been destroyed and the Frodo wakes up to be greeted by his
little hobbit chums (chapter 56), the image is so bright it leaves green
and
purple patches on the screen!  Maybe my contrast is set a bit high...

Mal