RE: Boot CD

As (numerous!) others have mentioned, you should be able to use a Win2K CD
to boot from (or for that matter almost any Microsoft OS install CD since
Win98 onwards that isn't an "upgrade" version as well...)

However, there are a couple of other options...

You can make your own boot CD if you have a CDR(W) and something like
Nero... ISTR that Nero needs an original floppy disk to take its boot image
>from
CD writing software will probably let you burn bootable CD's in other
ways...

If the BIOS is new enough, you may be able to boot from a USB device.. I
have PC's at home which I have happily booted from both USB floppy and USB
CD drives, and I have at least one which can boot from a USB memory key
which I have... (although I haven't had cause to actually do that!)

Some of the popular drive imaging tools have a virtual floppy boot
facility,
whereby you make an image of a bootable floppy disk to a file on your hard
disk.. (won't be any good to you in this case though I guess...) and can
boot from that...

PXE boot? - usually not an option unless you've already gone to the trouble
of setting up a RIS server somewhere...

Whip the disk out and temporarily connect it to another machine - maybe
another laptop the does have a floppy available?

Paul G.

>From: "aashram" <groups@aashram.com>
>To: <ukha_d@yahoogroups.com>
>Subject: [ukha_d] Boot CD
>Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 11:49:42 -0000
>
>I normally boot off a floppy to install windows 2000, today I am faced
with
>a laptop without a floppy.
>
>Is there such thing as a boot cd which will allow me to fdisk the hard
>drive and format it and
>
>then install windows 2000. Is there such a thing ?

http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk
Post message: ukha_d@yahoogroups.com
Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@yahoogroups.com