Re[2]: In Wall Speaker cable

Litz (sp?) wire was used for RF and had multiple strands to reduce the
impact of skin effect. What was cunning about it was that the strands were
insulated from each other and woven so that they all spent the same time at
the outside of the bundle, at other times going through the core. Without
that, skin effect would force the current to the skins of the outermost
strands only.

On 28/01/2004 at 01:00 Phil Harris wrote:

>I believe the "skin effect" only really occurs at extremely
high
>frequencies
>(well outside the audible range certainly) - and I believe were looking
>MHz there befor it becomes an issue - not kHz.
>
>Phil

understood
that
>> the idea of using multi strand was to utilise the "skin
effect" at
higher
>> frequencies?
>>
>> I'm no expert, it's just something I remember somebody telling me
at
some
>> time in the past.
>>
>> Ultimately, I guess it's down to what _your_ ears like.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Neil

fine...

>> > Yup ... and because it's just a nice thick extruded wadge of
copper
>then
>> on
>> > long runs it is generally lower resistance than flexible
cables too.
It
>> just
>> > doesn't have the "pose" value of being able to say
that you're using
>> > such-and-such a brand of cabling. ;-)
>> >
>> > Phil
>> >

>> > UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
>> > http://www.ukha2004.com
>> >
>> > http://www.automatedhome.co.uk
>> > Post message: ukha_d@yahoogroups.com
>> > Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
>> >

>> > Yahoo! Groups Links
>> >
>> > To visit your group on the web, go to:

>> > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
>> >  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
>> >

>> UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
>> http://www.ukha2004.com
>>
>> http://www.automatedhome.co.uk
>> Post message: ukha_d@yahoogroups.com
>> Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
>>
>> Yahoo! Groups Links

>> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
>>  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
>>

>UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
>http://www.ukha2004.com
>
>http://www.automatedhome.co.uk
>Post message: ukha_d@yahoogroups.com
>Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@yahoogroups.com