Re: [OT] - Help with Kitchen

Marcus,

Please remember that I'm not a lawyer - just someone who's bought and done
up a lot of properties - so has been round the block a few times on all
this.

The normal provision of the Distance Selling Directive entitling you to a
cooling off / inspection period does NOT apply in this case. The DSD
inspection period excludes items that are made to your specific order.

On that basis, you have three possible grounds for rejecting the goods:

- Not fit for purpose
- Not as advertised
- Not of merchantable quality

In order to receive a refund, you would need to be able to demonstrate that
they failed to meet one of these grounds. The liability of the vendor is
likely to be a refund - you are unlikely to win a claim for reimbursement
of
the other expenses, since they would argue that you should not have booked
date for the worktop fitter until you were ready to receive them. (This
isn't about what's RIGHT - it's about what you're likely to win.)

I know this is not the answer you want to hear, but cosmetic blemishes on
non-visible parts of the kitchen are unlikely to satisfy a trading
standards
officer, or a court, that the goods are not fit for purpose or of
merchantable quality.

I feel that, on balance, the courts would take the view that the supplier
had made a reasonable offer to replace the units that were damaged in a way
that would impact how they looked, and that you are unlikely to get any
more
out of them.

Of course, you may write back and ask for replacement only of the units
that
are visibly damaged, plus them to split the costs of a professional fitter
as an act of good faith. You're unlikely to get this, but it's always good
practice to ask for more and settle for less...

Regards,

Mark