Re: (OT) Voltage USA- UK

  • To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: (OT) Voltage USA- UK
  • From: "David Buckley" <db@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 22:26:04 -0000
  • Mailing-list: list ukha_d@yahoogroups.com; contact ukha_d-owner@xxxxxxx

--- In ukha_d@yahoogroups.com, "Nigel Giddings"
<nigel.giddings@u...> wrote:
> I thought the whole reason we have 110v in the UK on
> construction sites is because it is safer than normal 230v?

Indeed.  Strictly, the supply on building sites (from the yellow
transformers) is 55-0-55, ie 110v centre tapped, so the live to
ground voltage is "only" 55v.  This is a quarter of the normal
240V
live to ground.

There is no problem with 110V wiring in the UK providing it is done
safely.  In Mike's case he appears not to have fused distribution,
but is relying on the maxim that the source of supply (the yellow
trannie, which looks quite small, maybe 1KVA) cannot supply more
current than the wiring can handle.

However, the twisted wires supplying the 110 to the wall board look
a bit weedy for 10A rated current, 1KVA at 110V.

I'm not so certain about the Yankee sockets; I dont have the regs
handy, but I think that sockets need to comply with some British
Standard or other, and the USA ones wont.

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk
Post message: ukha_d@yahoogroups.com
Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@yahoogroups.com