Re: Video Formats

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 19:50:18 -0000, you wrote:

>I asked the following question in another forum...
>
>-----
>I have a downloaded movie that plays fine in Windows Media Player.
AVICodec
>identifies it as an XVID MPEG-4 file which according to the manual your
>product supports.  When I play the movie I get the error message Q
Pixel Not
>Supported and can hear the sound track but can't see the picture.  What
does
>this mean please?
>-----
>
>In response I got this reply, the only bit I really understand is
>"definitely not supported".
>
>-----
>Hi Malcolm, it meant what it says, QPel is definitely not supported.
Also,
>XviD's 3 warp point GMC also cannot be supported - DivX's 1 warp point
GMC
>however is supported. We've tested using XviD V1.00 Beta2 with GMC,
QPel
>disabled. BVOB however have been tested up to 2 along with the packed
>bitstream option enabled.
>-----
>
>Given copyright and encryption issues with movies, DVDs, etc I'm always
>little hesitant about asking these sorts of questions (in case I'm in
>breach!) but just what does the response I got mean?  :-)  Are there
lots of
>different DIVx / xVID standards?

Basicaly - yes!  Both DivX and xVID are fast changing codecs.  The
*normal* rule for these is to keep updating your codec set for these.

IMHO this is nothing to do with copyright questions, but more to do
with point-scoring between the various codec camps.

You can gets lots of good info about them from www.dvdrhelp.com.

Regards,
Harry.

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk
Post message: ukha_d@yahoogroups.com
Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@yahoogroups.com