RE: Power over the Ethernet

  • To: <ukha_d@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: Power over the Ethernet
  • From: "Andy Laurence" <andy@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 11:59:28 -0000
  • Mailing-list: list ukha_d@yahoogroups.com; contact ukha_d-owner@xxxxxxx

From: mike962abc [mailto:mihaiv@xxxxxxx]
> I have been a (watching) memmber of this forum for almost a year now -
>  finally, there's a question I want to ask : is there anybody who
> uses IEEE 802.3 af (Power over Ethernet) equipment ? Could you share
> some of your experience with us ?

I use my wireless access point with POE.  It's great!  I have a PSU by the
server, and a cable running from there to the stairs where the access point
is.  Highly useful, and very neat!

> Are there HA modules (temperature,
> I/O, PIR etc.) which are 802.3 af compliant ?

No idea, but it's easy to make something work with POE, provided there are
spare pairs.

> IMO, such modules could be quite interesting if one had KAT-5 wiring
> in the house.

Do you mean CAT5?  POE will not work with KAT5 as it uses all the pairs for
data.

Cheers,
Andy
--
http://projects.andylaurence.co.uk

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk
Post message: ukha_d@yahoogroups.com
Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@yahoogroups.com