Re: CCTV Solution required

Graham,

Firstly I'd recommend good external security lighting - prevention is
better
than watching your house being burgled later on your CCTV!  That's if they
didn't nick your PC with the capture card in ;o)

As for cameras I'd definitely recommend colour (with good lighting) rather
than B&W cameras.  Although B&W cameras have much better low light
performance they don't (obviously) give any colour info - ie. colour of a
car, clothing etc... and they also tend to misinform you about 'colours'
since they are sensitive to IR.  For example, a prowler might be dressed
all
in black - but on a B&W system they might appear to have a light
coloured
jacket, black jeans and grey trainers etc... very misleading.

One important thing is to choose the correct focal ratio - ie. the field of
view.  With a large field of view (say f4.3 with a 1/3" CCD) the
chances are
that you won't capture a good image of the prowler, unless they are very
close to the camera.  A narrow field of view (say f12.0 with a 1/3"
CCD)
will 'zoom-in' on an area and might capture the image you need, but
coverage
will be poor.

It's surprising how many fixed cameras you need to get good coverage of a
property.  Usually twice as many as what you think.

BTW I've bought cameras from RF Concepts in the past and always been happy
with the products and service.

Regards

Simon