Re: CBus Zoned Audio Amplifier!

Up to a point :-)

Seriously, though - the Meridian stuff is very good indeed in some areas.

The processors are superb, as are the DVD players. The power amps are good,
but don't entirely fit with the Meridian ethos (see below.) The current
handling is excellent, but I find them slightly sluggish compared to, say,
the Chord SPM range. This is probably technically attributable to the power
supply coupling in the Chords, which is ludicrously good. That having been
said, the Chords are that much more expensive again than the Meridians.

The place where the Meridians get REALLY expensive is in loudspeakers. The
new 7000 series are big, and will happily reproduce, say, a symphony
orchestra to reference volumes. The other thing about Meridian speakers is
that they do more than most speakers... Most people are used to the
difference between "passive" and "active" speakers -
passive speakers being
things you hook up to an amplifier, active speakers having the amplifier
built in. Meridian take it a step further and have the DAC (digital to
analogue convertors) built in... so the simplest system is simply a CD
transport, with the digital lead going straight into the speakers.

Meridians also get expensive in sources and processors. Until a few months
ago, they had two surround processors the 5 series (available in a few
slightly different variants) at around the £3k mark... and the 8 series,
coming in around £10-12k depending on options. There's a new series
positioned above the 8 series, which I've not yet heard. I have the 5
series, bought second hand :-)

I also have a Denon DVD player. I lust after a Meridian one, again the 5
series, not the 8 :-)

Regards,

Mark