Re: EIB installation

Hi Dean

> Wiring will evolve over time. - IEE are currently considering the
> replacement of Ring Main circuits with Radials for Sockets which is
common
> in other countries.

This is how its done in Australia.....I recall many years ago asking the
electrical inspector why they didnt use the ring main system as in the
UK...(since the aussie standards were based on the british standards iee
regs) and he told me that if an active (live) or neutral  somewhere in the
ring broke for whatever reason you then had the possibility of supplying 30
amps via one of the now 2 radial circuits............fair comment

> Also not long now till we go Brown & Blue in our Twin & Earth
cable -
> that'll cause some confusion to the do-it-yourself'ers down at B&Q
:)

Ok what about this one...........Here we use orange circular cable for
industrial wiring....red white blue for phase black neutral and
green/yellow
earth.......Now the Aust standards state that in a flexible cable blue is
neutral.....so when sparkies wire suspended 3 phase outlets they are
suppose
to join the (fixed wirng orange circ ) black (neutral) to the suspended
flex
blue (neutral) and vise versa .......Of course lots put black to black and
blue to blue...........

> We have just completed a couple of properties - where lighting for
> Lounge/Dining etc. is wired in a 'star' topology back to an enclosure
filled
> with Klippon connectors, and fed from a single MCB. This is totally
> transparent to the end user and any competent electrician would have
no
> problem dealing with this.
>
> Wiring will evolve over time. - IEE are currently considering the
> replacement of Ring Main circuits with Radials for Sockets which is
common
> in other countries.
>
> Also not long now till we go Brown & Blue in our Twin & Earth
cable -
> that'll cause some confusion to the do-it-yourself'ers down at B&Q
:)

> Dean.
>

>       Try our amazing lighting demonstration online now, and watch in
> realtime via our webcam. Click below and follow the CBus links.
>       www.rolec.net
>       dean@rolec.net
>       Tel: 01908-210677
>       Fax: 01908-210678
>      The information in this internet E-mail is confidential and is
intended
> solely for the addressee. Access, copying or re-use of information in
it
by
> anyone else is unauthorised. Any views or opinions presented are
solely
> those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of The
Rolec
> Group or any of its affiliates. If you are not the intended recipient
please
> contact wrongmail@rolec.net

"superior" to
>   ring topology in just about every practical way?
>
>   - absolutely "standard" switching operation is possible
>   - much better granularity of isolation of sockets/switches etc. is
> possible
>   - more flexible switching schemes are possible
>
>   Downsides? - well a home run from every point (switch/socket/light
> fitting)
>   uses quite a bit more twin & earth, and you end up with
significantly
more
>   ends to acommodate at the consumer unit.
>
>   but just envisage how much more flexible it would be to effectively
have
>   *every* single electrical outlet in the house on it's own circuit -
which
> of
>   course you could do if you wanted to, but if the cost of all those
extra
>   MCB's is too much then there's also the ability to gang lots of
those
> wires
>   together at the CU to make a more "conventional"
arrangement that
> resembles
>   several ring circuits...
>
>   The bottom line is, if you do a star wiring arrangement, it's
perfectly
>   possible & easy to make it operate *exactly* the same as a ring
main if
> you
>   want to, such that from a user perspective they wouldn't know the
>   difference.... 1 switch operates 1 light fitting, and the CU has
breakers
>   for (for example) Upstairs lights, upstairs sockets, downstairs
lights,
>   downstairs sockets, kitchen, shower, etc.... only an electrician
would
> know
>   anything was different, and then if each cable end is adequately
labelled
> at
>   the CU, then any idiot who can read ought to be able to figure it
out....

>   I'd just do it and not tell her... ;-)
>
>   Just my amateur opinions of course, and totally unqualified to offer
> advice
>   on anything electrical... (but I'm still alive!)
>

>   Paul G.
>

>   >>
>   >Just before I dive in with some comments, what exactly do you
mean when
> you
>   >talk about "standard" wiring. If you wire for
A.N.Other hardwired
system;
>   >CBus, Polaron etc. you can revert to standard switches &
sockets by
>   >removing your intelligent, centrally-located kit and replacing
with
>   >connecting blocks (for want of a better description).
>   >
>   >Or, if it's really a problem, run two lots of mains cables (e.g.
CBus
and
>   >'standard' configurations) and only connect up the second lot
when you
> come
>   >to sell.
>   >

>   It's fast, it's easy and it's free. Get MSN Messenger today!
>   http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger
>

>   UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
>   http://www.ukha2004.com
>
>   http://www.automatedhome.co.uk
>   Post message: ukha_d@yahoogroups.com
>   Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@yahoogroups.com