RE: EIB installation

I Was thinking this too....

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was always of the belief that the *only*
reason that a ring circuit was/is the "standard" in this country
was/is
because it uses the least amount of cable, and housebuilders are
tight-arses?....

Isn't it true to say that a star wiring topology would be
"superior" to a
ring topology in just about every practical way?

- absolutely "standard" switching operation is possible
- much better granularity of isolation of sockets/switches etc. is possible
- more flexible switching schemes are possible

Downsides? - well a home run from every point (switch/socket/light fitting)
uses quite a bit more twin & earth, and you end up with significantly
more
ends to acommodate at the consumer unit.

but just envisage how much more flexible it would be to effectively have
*every* single electrical outlet in the house on it's own circuit - which
of
course you could do if you wanted to, but if the cost of all those extra
MCB's is too much then there's also the ability to gang lots of those wires
together at the CU to make a more "conventional" arrangement that
resembles
several ring circuits...

The bottom line is, if you do a star wiring arrangement, it's perfectly
possible & easy to make it operate *exactly* the same as a ring main if
you
want to, such that from a user perspective they wouldn't know the
difference.... 1 switch operates 1 light fitting, and the CU has breakers
for (for example) Upstairs lights, upstairs sockets, downstairs lights,
downstairs sockets, kitchen, shower, etc.... only an electrician would know
anything was different, and then if each cable end is adequately labelled
at
the CU, then any idiot who can read ought to be able to figure it out....

I'd just do it and not tell her... ;-)

Just my amateur opinions of course, and totally unqualified to offer advice
on anything electrical... (but I'm still alive!)

Paul G.

>Just before I dive in with some comments, what exactly do you mean when
you
>talk about "standard" wiring. If you wire for A.N.Other
hardwired system;
>CBus, Polaron etc. you can revert to standard switches & sockets by
>removing your intelligent, centrally-located kit and replacing with
>connecting blocks (for want of a better description).
>
>Or, if it's really a problem, run two lots of mains cables (e.g. CBus
and
>'standard' configurations) and only connect up the second lot when you
come
>to sell.

http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk
Post message: ukha_d@yahoogroups.com
Subscribe:  ukha_d-subscribe@yahoogroups.com