From: David Buckley [mailto:db@xxxxxxx]
Sent: 16 January 2004 23:06
To: ukha_d@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [ukha_d] Re: EIB installation

From: Martin Wonders Sent: 16 January 2004 09:16

>I'm starting a new build in April and SWMBO (who is an
> Electrical Engineer and will not be blinded by science)
> wants the the power wiring to be standard (thinking
> about resale).

I'll go all manufacturer specific here, and just talk about Siemens
Instabus variety of EIB kit, as its the only EIB dtuff I'm familiar
with, though there are other manufacturers of EIB kit.

If you want standard power wiring, then Instabus (or the evil X10)
is your only choice.  CBus requires star wiring, Instabus
uses "ordinary" wiring, apart from the provision of a neutral to
each controlling point, and the control cable.  To make a CBus
system "undoable" you would need to run extra mains wiring not
normally installed as part of the installation.  And then you would
need to fill the din rail units that had dimmers and relays in them
full of terminals, as someone else has suggested.  This would (in
years to come) definitely phase the average sparky, as you would
have a uniquely wired house.

An undone Instabus system would just have redundent control cable
installed, the mains wiring would be the same as any other house
without requiring any changes to make it so.

However.....  although you missus may be well qualified, she is
missing the point here.  These systems are entirely acceptable, they
are not DIY, or locally invented - both the Siemen's Instabus stuff
and Clipsal's CBus building automation systems are 100%
professional, fully supported and maintained systems.  Clipsal have
been around over 80 years, and Siemens over the centruy.  Both great
companies.  Both support their product.  Both systems have traqck
records over years.

It is true that not every sparky is familiar with both (or either)
systems, but most failures on both systems are down to module
failure, and modules are fairly easily available.  There are
qualified folk available all over the world to maintain this stuff,
if it breaks more seriously, but it tends not to, as its designed
not to.

Ok, so HA type kit is mostly installed in more expensive houses, but
they do exist, and in growing numbers.  Its almost invisible
technology.  Sure there are the flashy Neo switches by the doors,
but Mr Average Homeowner has no idea of the black magic behind the
scenes - it just works.

In terms of approvals, Instabus control wiring is SELV, and CBus's
is SELV in practice, but if my memory serves, was missing a
particular BS aproval label.  You can definitely put Instabus switch
units (but not the integrated dimmer things) in Zone 1 in your
bathroom, providing you use Siemens cable, which is wet rated to 4KV.

UK Home Automation Meet 2004 - BOOK NOW!
http://www.ukha2004.com <http://www.ukha2004.com>

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk
<http://www.automatedhome.co.uk>
Post message: ukha_d@yahoogroups.com